Your Ad Campaign Checklist
All successful DTC and HCP native ad campaigns share similar characteristics. Administering a successful ad campaign requires mindful execution. Here's a simple checklist to guide you through the process. If you’re new to this, don’t let the process be daunting. If you understand the steps, the process and data will guide you. If all else fails, just ask us for help.
- Define Your Campaign Objectives - Clearly outline what you want to achieve. The most common objectives for our marketing partners include (1) Lead generation/form fills, (2) Patient education, (3) HCP education, (4) eCommerce purchase, (5) Free samples opt in, (6) Completed video view (7) Registration/Signup (8) Newsletter/Signup (9) Event registration (10) Product Demos or Consultation Requests (11) Membership subscriptions (12) Fulfilling sponsored section traffic goals. Whichever action you choose to focus on, that action should be tracked using our tracking pixel located in the conversion tracking section (left NAV). Having the conversion tracking pixel placed after a conversion occurs (like a thank you or confirmation page). This will allow us to track the cost per acquisition by ad in the dashboard like the example below. See the column for CPA?
- Clearly define your target audience- Research and understand your target audience, including their demographics, needs, and preferences. This is true of consumers and healthcare professionals. If you’re trying to reach consumers reading content about weight loss contextually, we can recommend dozens of keywords and include the most popular drug names and medical terms about weight loss. Most of the high intent terms are already included when you choose “Weight Loss” from the pre-set therapeutic category targets. When thinking about HCP targets, ask us. We’ll help you choose professions and medical specialties who are most likely to be interested in and/or see patients most likely to need your product or service. Consumers are targeted contextually around the content they are reading. HCPs are audience targeted. You can see a preview of what each targeting interface looks like below.
- Compliance and Regulations- Familiarize yourself with healthcare advertising regulations and ensure your campaign is compliant (e.g., HIPAA in the U.S., GDPR in Europe). If promoting an RX drug, you’ll need to adhere to FDA guidelines. Tap Native recognizes 2 types of FDA approved pharma ads - Help Seeking ads and Reminder ads. We cannot accept Product Claim ads as that type requires ISI disclosure which does not translate well into native formats. Landing pages must adhere to Tap Native standards.
- Landing Pages & Content Creation- What does your landing page look like? Is your content and imagery resonating with the target audience? How do you know? If you’ve never tested driving traffic to the page before, expect to learn something. Is the content medically accurate? If intended for consumers, use patient centric language and avoid medical jargon. Is there anyone you can point to in the marketplace that’s done a nice job creating a landing page outlining their offer? If you’re landing page isn’t clear and concise expect the customer acquisition cost (CAC) to be higher than necessary. You’re landing page is key because it tells the customer everything about your offer and organization. Spend time looking at similar landing pages so you can see how others position offers.
- Building Native Ads- Building native ads is fast, easy and inexpensive. Once you have registered for a Tap Native account you can create ads right away. We recommend creating campaign folders to separate and organize ads promoting different products or audience targets. The ad creation wizard will guide you through the ad creation process, defining targets, setting CPA goals and spending caps. A Tap Native ad is comprised of a landing page URL, an image (1000x600 GIF, PNG or JPG), a headline (60 characters with spaces) and a source (30 characters with spaces). Free generative AI images are available from the Tap Native ad builder once your account is funded. Once you understand AI prompting, this can be an endless supply of unique and engaging images, all without cost. We also have a Getty Images account and are happy to provide a selection to use, again, free of charge. We recommend you create 10 different ads with different images and headlines so you can see which versions resonate, which have the highest click through rates (CTRs) and convert at the lowest cost. Here is an example of a Tap Native ad unit showcasing 3 Individual offers. You’ll see the difference in how ads are presented to consumers or healthcare professionals depending on who’s viewing the page.
- Launch Time! - Once your ads are built and approved, the conversion tracking pixel has been placed on your site and all the lights are green, you can allow your ads to play! Within minutes the dashboard will begin reporting on each ad’s CTR, conversion rate, cost per conversion and more. You’ll need to allow the ads to gather a critical mass of impressions and clicks which provides you with actionable data. You never want to make decisions based on small data sets so let them run.
- Optimizing - Consumer ads can hit extremely high volumes on day 1. HCP targeted ads are a little slower to collect data because it’s a smaller and harder to reach audience. Inevitably, the ads in your account will accumulate impressions. Once an ad has 7,500 impressions or more, the ad’s CTR starts to become apparent. You’ll see that some ads have higher CTRs than others. Use the dashboard to line up all the ads by CTR, from highest to lowest. Pay attention to the images, headlines and targeting for the ads with the highest CTR. Now take note of the images, headlines and targeting for the ads with the lowest CTR. Understanding the characteristics of ads that are engaging is critical to optimizing. You may start seeing conversions and each ad will have a different cost per conversion (CPA). Once ads have accrued multiple conversions you can begin getting a sense of which ads are both engaging and convert well. It’s important to spend at least 20X the conversion goal in order to find winning ads. If you’re conversion goal is $100, we recommend you test with $2,000 to find a winner. At this point you’ll begin pausing ads that don’t work as well and iterating on the one’s that do. Take the top 3 best ads and duplicate them to combine winning headlines or images from the other winning ads. Sometimes you’ll find a headline, image with targeting which truly hits the mark. This is the essence of optimizing. The best marketers do not have pre-conceived notions about what’s going to work or what won’t work. Allow data to drive your decision making.
- Feedback and Adjustments - Regularly collect feedback from your audience and make necessary adjustments to your product, pricing, offer, landing page, ad creatives and targeting.
Remember, the key to a successful native healthcare marketing campaign is to create content that is informative, trustworthy, and engaging while strictly adhering to healthcare advertising standards and regulations. Always take the high road in all your creative. The more credible the offer appears, the better the audiences that will engage and the higher it will convert.
- What’s the minimum I can spend on Tap Native?
A) You can deposit as little as $500 in the self-serve dashboard. When ads are set to play you can spend as little as $50 per day. You can also pause ads for as long as you like and resume when you’re ready.
- Can I get an account manager to get me started?
A) Yes, with a deposit of $2500, we can assign an account manager to demo the dashboard, help build your ads and select targeting that works for your product or service. They will spend up to an hour with you to make sure you understand the dashboard and best practices.
- Can I get an account manager to manage my account?
A) Yes, with a deposit of $5,000 and a commitment to spend a minimum of $5,000 a month, we can assign an account manager to oversee and manager your account. This applies to individual organizations or ad agencies with 1 or multiple client accounts.
- For ads targeting healthcare pros, do you provide PLD reporting?
A) Yes, free PLD reporting is available for all campaigns targeting healthcare pros. We provide the full name, profession, specialty and NPI of every HCP that has clicked. Click here to see examples of PLD reporting.
- How can I fund the account, can you invoice
A) You can fund the account with a major credit card and a 1.9% fee to Stripe is applied to every deposit. If you’d like to wire the funds, simply request wire instructions. Both of these functions are available in the “Add Funds” section of your dashboard (left Nav). For accounts spending $10,000 a month or more, we can sign a billing agreement and invoice your org monthly.
Let the conversions begin!